In this episode of the Smart and Simple Matters (SASM) show, you’ll get geeked up about spreadsheets.
Wait. Spreadsheets aren’t your thing?
Then you’ll get geeked up about freelancing, productivity tips, how to live like a digital nomad, and laughing at me for making a fool of myself in part of the show.
I landed Bernard Vukas – also known as Mr. Spreadsheet – for episode ten. But Bernard is so much more than a fancy spreadsheet creator.
Who else do you know that has increased their freelancing hourly rate 1,400% over four years and will tell you how they did it? Who else do you know that’s been featured in Chris Guillebeau’s sweet book, The $100 Startup? And who else do you know that’s been personally thanked by the CEO of ODesk and nominated as “Best Contractor” in an uber competitive field like software development?
Bernard was gracious enough to speak with me recently from paradise in Boracay Island, Philippines. Although Internet connections aren’t exactly blazing fast out there, the scenery more than makes up for it.
Join us as we talk about some pretty awesome things that everyone can get into. And did I mention we explore the myth of The Croatian Bear? Yep, this one got a little wild at the end.
What You’ll Learn
Bernard has a history of teaching entrepreneurs, creating business plans, and showing people how project management is done. But today, you’re getting a look into the future of where freelancing and location independence is heading.
In this episode you’ll learn about:
- Which productivity techniques are best for working from home (they’re not what you think)
- The biggest freelancing trap Bernard fell into…and how he got out
- How many books you need to read to become an efficient digital nomad
- Clever ways to curate that you’ve never thought about
- Rocking exercise routines for freelancing pros
- Why Ethan Waldman is going to laugh at me and how I made a fool of myself
- Whether the myth of The Croatian Bear is actually true
Resources and Items Mentioned in This Episode Include:
- Websites: Start Investing with $100, ODesk (affiliate link), HireMrSpreadsheet
- Resources: Couchsurfing, If This Then That
- Books: The $100 Startup, The 4-Hour Workweek (affiliate link), The Art of Non-Conformity, Getting Things Done
- Miscellaneous: The Croatian Bear, SASM Episode 003
- [03:04] The impact starting young with computers can have
- [06:28] Books that provided the spark for Bernard’s entrepreneurial spirit
- [09:09] Which productivity technique works best for Bernard
- [13:15] How curating can be delicious
- [16:12] Freelancing traps and how to avoid them
Awesome Ways to Subscribe to the Show
If you’re not already subscribed for automatic notifications of a new show, please do so with one of the links below.
- Click here to download the transcript
Tell Us How You Feel
If you appreciate this specific episode or the Smart and Simple Matters show in general, go to the iTunes page and leave an honest review. Every single review is a huge help and greatly appreciated!
And if you have someone or something you’d like us to cover on an upcoming show, tell us in the comments below.