Mike Vardy brings a lot to the party.
Or show. Or event. Or the Internet in general.
In this episode of the Smart and Simple Matters (SASM) show, I welcome Mike to join me for a chat that bounces between wise, goofy, and practical dynamite.
I’ve been impressed with Mike for a while now – even before I knew he existed (you’ll have to listen to understand how that’s possible). His new book, The Front Nine, builds on a resume that already includes being a prolific podcaster, respected public speaker, and in some circles, a pretty great dad.
So it should be no surprise when Mike comes up with memorable words during our chat like this:
Being a productivityist becomes more about the ‘why to do’ instead of the ‘how to do.’ So you become more mindful. You start to make choices that are based about the things that you really want to as opposed to the things you have to do.
You can find Mike’s writing in many places now, but don’t go searching for his 3rd grade science serial masterpiece or his 8th grade novella The Green Thang and All. He’s evolved significantly since those formative writing days and has better things to offer the world now…like this great conversation.
What You’ll Learn
Besides understanding why Mike and I reference the song Baby Got Back a few times, you’ll learn a ton of practical stuff in this one.
In this episode you’ll learn about:
- How being a productivityist helps with simplifying, organizing, and being money wise
- Why “Why?” is the best question to ask…and when
- The meaning of a “status battle” and how that grows into something bigger
- What it’s like to focus on getting the right things done
- How to use productivity to go from training wheels to tricking out your bike
- What’s worse than an abandoned spreadsheet (hint: probably not what you think)
- How to start your new year at any point…and hit it hard and heavy
- Creating a template to evaluate whether new experiences are worth it
- Why journaling can be a huge step in connecting to what’s truly important
Resources and Items Mentioned in This Episode Include:
- Websites: Productivityist, Eventualism
- Resources: The Ready Retreat Series, The Digital Launch Playbook
- Books: The Front Nine: How to Start the Year You Want Anytime You Want
- Blog Posts: Mike: The Why Joel: Are You Helping Deprive the World of Water?
- Etc.: Mike’s podcast Mike’s on Mics
- [04:25] Mike’s “seeds of awesomeness”
- [11:40] How being a productivityist helps with simplifying, organizing, and being money wise
- [20:32] “How crazy is Joel,” Mike’s book The Front Nine, and using golf as a metaphor
- [27:15] How Mike uses spreadsheets and for what
- [30:49] Curating, journaling, and using a working template for evaluating new experiences
- [41:18] The lighter side of life, comedy, and some chuckles
Awesome Ways to Subscribe to the Show
If you’re not already subscribed for automatic notifications of a new show, please do so with one of the links below.
- The transcript will not be available until I find a new transcriptionist (if you know someone good, let me know)
Tell Us How You Feel
If you appreciate this specific episode or the Smart and Simple Matters show in general, go to the iTunes page and leave an honest review. Every single review is a huge help and greatly appreciated!
To leave a review on iTunes (iTunes needs to be installed first), just do these four quick steps:
- Visit the Smart and Simple Matters iTunes page here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/value-simple-podcast-joel/id545208089
- Click the blue button on the left labeled “View in iTunes” below the cover art of the show
- When iTunes loads, scroll down below the “Customer Reviews” section and click the link labeled “Write a Review”
- Write a review with whatever title you like, whatever length you have time for, and give the show an honest rating. If you don’t think it deserves five stars, don’t rate it as a five star show.
And if you have someone or something you’d like us to cover on an upcoming show, tell us in the comments below.