Is Smart and Simple Matters right for you?
Maybe you enjoy strolls down memory lane with a curated context?
Whether you’re new to the show or have listened to the first forty-nine episodes, there’s something here for you in episode fifty.
I’m grateful to everyone who has supported and challenged me in my first twenty-three months of podcasting. From 19 downloads the first month to 10,104 downloads in May 2014, we’ve come a long way, baby!
This curated recap of episodes 1-49 was inspired by my friends Dan and Vanessa Hayes at Simple Life Together.
In their 50th episode, they shared their top 20 simplicity websites … but Dan and Vanessa also summarized, curated, and categorized their first 49 episodes in a cool way.
I’m using that same approach as a tribute to my amazing guests. But I also want this episode to be a resource for anyone new to Smart and Simple Matters (or with a leaky brain like me).
Maybe you listen to simplify, organize, and be money wise. Perhaps you dig getting nerdy about spreadsheets or love exploring how to cultivate and maintain awesome relationships.
Whatever you’re into, saddle up … ’cause we’re about to hit it!
You’re about to Learn …
- The stories and insights of truly amazing people.
- Why I’m happy to be embarrassed about episode one.
- How to simplify from the inside out.
- Unconventional ways to organize your brain, home, and gizmos.
- Which version of money wise will work best for you.
- What episode made me almost completely lose it.
- How much our perspective can change over two years.
- The easy things you can do to help others through this podcast.
Resources and Items Mentioned in This Episode:
Normally I just give you links to websites, articles, tools, and other items. But I’m thinking you’ll appreciate links to each previous episode of Smart and Simple Matters – categorized by topics – discussed in this episode.
Check them out after the typical links below.
- Public Speaking Recordings:
- How Minimalism Is Changing Entrepreneurship (SXSW 2013)
- Podcast Episodes:
- SASM 003 – Healing Your Technology Illness with Ethan Waldman
- SASM 006 – Habit Stacking, Simplifying, and Your Wakeup Call with Courtney Carver
- SASM 020 – How to Create Space, Kindness, and Happiness with Tammy Strobel
- SASM 022 – Minimalism, Intentional Living, and Being the Best You with Joshua Becker
- SASM 025 – Tetris Theory, Mental Frameworks, and How to Act Accordingly with Colin Wright
- SASM 028 – How to Grow Abundance and Combat Stagnation with Charlie Gilkey
- SASM 029 – 4 Reasons and a Moral Imperative to Unsimplify
- SASM 031 – Why You Need More Nothing (and How to Get It) With Jessie Kinowski
- SASM 034 – How to Have a Million Dollar Lifestyle for Dirt Cheap with Ryan Avery
- SASM 036 – How to Turn Dreams into Reality with Warren and Betsy Talbot
- SASM 038 – How to Be Control Free and Distraction Lite with Mike Burns
- SASM 040 – Meditate on This: Mindfulness and Headspace with Andy Puddicombe
- SASM 043 – How to Slow Your Home, Be Simple Enough, and Enjoy Zero with Brooke McAlary
- SASM 044 – How to Find the Crossroads of Passion and Simplicity with Mohamed Tohami
- SASM 045 – Exploring Innerspace and Bodhi Float Tanks with Chad Johnson and Richard Bonk
- SASM 047: How to Reclaim the Commons (and Your Attention) with Howard Rheingold
- SASM 048: A New Vision of Simple Living, SimpleREV Style
- SASM 015 – The Forces of Order and Simplifying with Dan and Vanessa Hayes
- SASM 032 – Organization Tips and Preparing for Emergencies with Cassie Tillett
- SASM 037 – Organize It All (OrgJunkie or Not) with Laura Wittmann
- SASM 046 – How to Organize Your “Lives” (E-Memory Revolution or Not) with Gordon Bell
Money Wise Episodes
- SASM 002 – Super Skills for Rocking Daily Money Management with Carole Evenchik
- SASM 004 – Passive Income Mastery and How to Be Everywhere with Pat Flynn
- SASM 009 – How to Find and USE the Investing Start (or Restart) Button
- SASM 011 – Becoming an Accidental Daily Money Manager with Jen Koontz
- SASM 013 – Better Financial Decisions and Building Mindfulness with Todd Tresidder
- SASM 021 – Residual Income and Minimal Experiences with Natalie Sisson
- SASM 030 – How Personal Capital Simplifies Your Personal Finances with CEO Bill Harris
- SASM 049 – How to Have Plenty of Anything (Including Wild Money) with Luna Jaffe
- SASM 005 – Curating Part 1: The Awesome Importance and Startling Benefits
- SASM 014 – Curating Part 2: Cultivating the Promise and Storytelling’s Evolution with Steve Rosenbaum
- SASM 023 – How to Curate and Informational Nurses with Robin Good
- SASM 035 – Scoop.it Review and Topic-Centric Curation with CEO Guillaume Decugis
- SASM 041 – Experience Curating, Part 1: Origins, What It Is, and Best Practices
- SASM 042 – Experience Curating, Part 2: The FAOCAS Framework and Tools
- SASM 012 – Remarkable Relationships and Doing the Impossible with Scott Dinsmore
- SASM 016 – Relationship Mindsets to Cultivate Lifetime Friends and Allies
- SASM 017 – Growing the Seeds of Health, Relationships, and Abundance with James Clear
- SASM 024 – Reinventing Yourself and Rapidly Reframing Misfortune with Adam Shepard
- SASM 033 – Positive Addictions and UNdefining Yourself with Sarah Peck
The Other Stuff
- SASM 007 – The Future of Education and Brilliant Teaching Movements with Pam Peterson
- SASM 008 – Personal Brands and Blowing Up Your Box with Colin Wright
- SASM 010 – Freelancing Traps, Clever Productivity, and the Croatian Bear with Bernard Vukas
- SASM 018 – Productivityists and Asking the Right Questions with Mike Vardy
- SASM 019 – The Continuous Creation Challenge and Your Ultimate Guide to Rock It
- SASM 026 – Multipotentialite Crimes and Triumphs with Emilie Wapnick
- SASM 027 – Risk-Taking, Rough and Ready Creativity, and Checklists with Corwin Hiebert
- SASM 039 – How to Build Super Systems (and Be Like Batman) with Shanna Mann
- [00:27] The context of this milestone episode
- [07:13] The “simplify” episodes
- [29:25] The “organize” episodes
- [33:59] The “money wise” episodes
- [42:17] The curating episodes
- [49:20] The relationship episodes
- [54:49] The “other” episodes
Awesome Ways to Subscribe to the Show
If you’re not already subscribed for automatic notifications of a new show, please do so with one of the links below.
- Click here to subscribe with iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
The transcript will not be available until I find a new transcriptionist (if you know someone good, let me know).
I’m Grateful for Your iTunes Reviews!
If you enjoyed this specific episode or the Smart and Simple Matters show in general, I always appreciate when people go to the iTunes page and leave an honest review. Every single review is a huge help and received with gratitude!
If you want to make me incredibly thankful, like the people who have recently left an iTunes review, here are the four quick steps (assuming iTunes is already installed):
- Visit the Smart and Simple Matters iTunes page here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/value-simple-podcast-joel/id545208089
- Click the blue button on the left labeled “View in iTunes” below the cover art of the show
- When iTunes loads, scroll down below the “Customer Reviews” section and click the link labeled “Write a Review”
- Write a review with whatever title you like, whatever length you have time for, and give the show an honest rating. If you don’t think it deserves five stars, don’t rate it as a five star show.
And if you have someone or something you’d like us to cover on an upcoming show, tell us in the comments below.